Monday, October 22, 2012

"You don't need to be on a diet..."

Things ignorant people do not understand about my decision to be healthy:

I do not think I am overweight. More importantly, not all diets are designed for weight loss. Yes, I initially wanted to lose weight, but what I was more concerned with was my percent of body fat. Cutting out unhealthy foods meant that I wouldn’t be consuming the unhealthy sugars and carbs that contribute to belly fat, so the weight loss is an indication that I am sticking to my healthy eating habits.
Eating healthy boosts my immune system. Before making the commitment to be healthier, I had an awful immune system. I had initially blamed it on other factors (lack of sleep, genetics, etc.). However, what was really to blame was my poor nutrition and exercise habits. While I used to get very ill at least three times a year, I have not had a fever or bad cold in almost a year.
My digestive system greatly benefits. I am not ashamed to say that I have struggled with poor digestion since I was very young. Again, it was something I blamed on genetics, and I thought that since it was a lifetime issue, there was nothing I’d be able to do about it. It really got in the way of my daily life, and it was something that was constantly on my mind. Only about a month into eating healthy, my digestion was almost normal, and I couldn’t believe it. I resolved an issue I’ve been having for 20 years just by changing my eating habits.
My work habits have increased. I’ve always been the worst procrastinator when it comes to school work. I’d push everything to the last minute, get really stressed out, and then when I sat down to actually do the work I could not focus on it at all. Since becoming healthier, that has changed. I’m more motivated, have the necessary energy to get stuff done, and I can focus much better. Best of all, I am a lot less likely to stress out. 
I am 10x happier. If this isn’t a good enough reason to be healthy, I don’t know what else to tell you. Not only do the positive changes in my body and daily routine make me happy, but eating healthy foods directly effects the chemicals in the brain that influence mood. When you eat unhealthy foods consistently and dont get proper nutrients, you create an imbalance that contributes to mood swings and depression. Not only that, but feeling healthy increases confidence and motivation. You need to feel good about yourself in mind, body, and spirit before you can truly be happy. For me, being healthy and active does that. 

One thing is for certain: You won’t understand the innumerable benefits to eating healthy until you actually try it. So try it. Even after a week, you’ll start to notice the differences. And don’t let anyone tell you that it’s pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment